Min Welfare hands cheques to inter-caste marriage benefeciaries
19 Jan, Gangtok (IPR) : Minister for Social Justice, Empowerment and Welfare Department, Government of Sikkim Smt Tulsi Devi Rai handed over monetary incentive of Rs. 30,000/- each to ten beneficiary couples under the Inter-Caste Marriage Incentive Scheme here at a function held at Samaj Kalyan Bhawan, Lumsey today.
Speaking on the occasion Smt Rai lauded the beneficiaries for coming forward to avail of the welfare scheme.
She stated that the incentive is a joint initiative of the Central and State Government for the welfare and upliftment of the Scheduled Caste Community under the Protection of Civil Rights Act 1955.
She also added that the Chief Minister Shri Pawan Chamling had enhanced the incentive amount from the initial amount of Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 30,000 after 2014.
A total of 312 couples have benefited from this scheme since its inception, the Minister informed.
The Minister further informed that the Department has enough budget provision to cater to more beneficiaries under the scheme in the current financial year. She appealed to the members of the press and media and the public at large to spread awareness about the incentive scheme so that the fund earmarked for the scheme reaches the beneficiaries.
It may be mentioned here that the couples should fulfill the following eligibility conditions or criteria to avail this one-time incentive scheme:
· Scheduled Caste Boy/Girl married to Non-Scheduled Castes.
· Couple should have been married on or after 1st March, 2002.
· Girl must be between the age of 18 to 30 years and the boy between 21 to 35 years of age at the time of marriage.
· Relaxation of age up-to 40 years will be given in case of Re-marriage or Widow/Widower.
· Marriage Certificate issued by DC/SDM duly attested.
· Birth Certificate of both the spouses issued by the competent authority or School Certificate showing Date of Birth duly attested, or in case of candidates not having both the certificates, attested copy of Voter’s Identity Card for Age proof.
· Sikkim Subject / Certificate of Identification duly attested.
Earlier, the programme commenced with the welcome address by Additional Secretary Social Justice Department Mr Dushyant Pariyar.
The programme also had the presence of Additional Secretary SJEWD Mr K.B. Pradhan, Joint Director Scholarship Mr C. Lepcha, and OSD Primitive Tribe Mr T.T. Lepcha, along with concerned staff of the Department.